Thursday, September 15, 2011

My first charity quilt

I made a charity quilt! Its the first quilt I've made, where the recipient might not be a family member nor a close friend.





The quilt was constructed from a layer cake of Hideaway fabric. I added some Alexander Henry lemon fabric to the back. The pattern is In a Jiffy, which I got at the Moda Bake Shop. The quilt top was super easy to put together! But I wanted the size to be slightly larger than a lap quilt, so I added two white borders. It was perfect! The Hideaway fabric was so summery and the white borders really set off the bright colors.



Each year my father's family church holds a picnic and auction to raise money for the church grounds and 100 year old building. The church is located in Karlstad, Minnesota on a dirt road in the country. If you are frequent IKEA shopper, you might be familiar with the Karlstad sofa series. Yes, as you could guess, the Karlstad in Minnesota is named after the Karlstad in Sweden.

The church no longer has a congregation, so all of the painting, roofing, structural maintenance, and mowing is paid for by donations and the annual picnic and auction. My dad and his sisters always go to the annual picnic. I was fortunate to be visiting Minnesota the weekend of the picnic and was able to attend this year!



The day started with a service in the church. Young & old sang songs.



Even Chauncey came along! But he wasn't welcome near the food, so we kept him back, next to a tree. Adeline was super sweet to visit him and say hello. Even Adeline's sister was happy to see the dog.



My grandmother's sisters also were there! They posed with the little girls for a photo opportunity.



Its time for the auction to begin! This was the best part!! My aunt Linda donated this rather creepy figurine. It was so hideous, its no wonder that it only sold for $5.



My quilt being auctioned off! It was fun to see people bidding on it... It went for $150, bought by my cousin! Her oldest daughter is pretty excited! Her younger daughter was pretty over-whelmed from the day and needed a nap break with her auntie Donnalee.



Last but not least on the auction... Pinecones! The little girls felt terrible that they didn't have anything to donate to the church auction, so they collected pinecones! And they sold for fifty bucks a bag. Not bad, ladies!



I had such a good time at the auction and with family, that I am really excited to make more charity quilts. I'll definitely have one for the 2012 Karlstad picnic. And I'm working on making a couple for Austin-area recipients too.

6 comments:

Jan said...

Bobbi, what a wonderful quilt, and what a great day. Your donation certainly will make an impact.

Bobbi said...

Thanks Jan! It was a fun day and I was glad to donate my time and quilting skillz! :0

Kristina P. said...

It's a beautiful quilt! I think it's a great thing to do.

Janell said...

I love the quilt - it's so cheerful and pretty! And yeah ... that sculpture is kind of creepy. Glad you had a fun trip to MN!

C. Beth said...

I LOVE the quilt!! Such beautiful colors!

And I do find it hilarious that the pine cones sold for 10x what the creepy sculpture sold for. Ha!

Gayle Ballinger said...

I really like how the white borders set off the prints, having seen the original quilt on Moda Bake Shop, I think I will follow your idea with the extra solid borders when I make mine.. Very nice!