Wednesday, September 21, 2011

My third charity quilt

I'm on a charity quilt roll this summer! One, two, and now three! This a twin sized quilt (about 72x90 inches) which I made for Modern Day Quilts' Central Texas Wildfire quilt drive. The front was made from Kona Grey and small fat quarter pieces that the Quilt Haus donated to the Austin Modern Quilt Guild. On the back I used an extra long twin sheet and leftover scraps from the front.





Since this is a charity quilt and I wanted to get it finished quickly, I quilted in wide, straight, vertical, horizontal, and diagonal lines. I love how the quilting is prominent in the back.

For binding I found a green, 1960s flowered fabric at Hancock Fabrics. In the Puppy Dog charity quilt, I machine-sewed the binding to the back. This time, I started off machine sewing the binding to the back and then did a heavy zig-zag stitch to the front, suggested by Heather from Fiberosity. Can I saw it looks awesome? It totally goes with the industrial look of the grey on the front! Last, but not least, I added a rainylakechick designs label to the back!




Chauncey approves!



If you would like to make one of these quilts for the quilt drive, I wrote a tutorial! If you use the tutorial, please let me know via a comment here. I'd love to see photos of your creations.

2 comments:

Meghan said...

Love the quilting!

Marty's Fiber Musings said...

Oh, yes...great quilting. I'm just getting into the Kona fabrics and am loving everything about those wonderful solids.