Sunday, February 26, 2012

Baby Boy Quilt

A friend is having a baby boy! Yesterday the mom-to-be's sister hosted a baby shower and I can finally reveal the quilt I made.



I followed Cluck Cluck Sew's Road Trip tutorial, expect I used 12 fabrics instead of 10. It was super easy to follow and could easily be modified for fat quarters instead of 1/8 yard fabric pieces.

For the back I used fabric I had in my stash, a brown/gold/burgundy/moss green Crate and Barrel fabric by Marimekko. I bought it in late 2011, on sale for about $4.95 per yard. Its slightly wider than standard quilting fabric, so I was able to use one piece for the back. I love the rich colors of the fabric!



Everything used in the quilt was what I had in my fabric stash. Is that a good thing... or a bad thing? Either way, it was fun shopping in my fabric closet! I received a half yard of froggy fabric during the Austin Modern Quilt Guild's December 2011 White Elephant Gift Exchange. I used the frogs as my inspiration. From there, I pulled in the apples, mushrooms, and dots. Lots and lots of dots! I also used three Marimekko fabrics. One was Rotti, which was used on the back, and the other two were burgundy and green/blue grass-like fabrics.



When I was purchasing the Marimekko fabrics, the sales clerk let me in on a little secret. The Marimekko fabrics sold at Crate and Barrel are reprints from the originals. The selvage tells us not only the name of the fabric, but the year it was originally printed. I LOVED that idea so much that I included the selvage into the binding.

Speaking of binding, all the binding on this quilt was machine sewn. I've been working on perfecting my binding skills for the last 4 or 5 quilts. I still do a 2.5 inch double fold binding, but instead of attaching the binding to the front and hand sewing to the back, I attach the binding to the back and zig zag the front. If you go slow enough, you can feel where the seam on the back is and guide the front to lie on top. The result is a quick binding with a bit of an organic feel.



Again... I just love this quilt! Its one of my favorite to date. I hope mom, dad, and new baby boy love it too!

4 comments:

Claire Jain said...

Aww, this is so cute. I love the colors :-)

Bobbi said...

Thanks, Claire!

TX Grandma said...

Very nice! I need to commit to a quick and easy quilt soon. I will look up this pattern. Thanks for sharing.

Miamihoney said...

Such a great quilt. I love the fabrics you used and the border, very nice.