Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Math Quilt: Pythagorean Theorem

I present my first math quilt: The Pythagorean Theorem.

Who doesn't love a-squared + b-squared = c-squared?

Pythagorean Theorem

In April 2012 the Austin Modern Quilt Guild held a Color Wheel Charm Pack Swap.  I bought "2 spots" and ended up with 112 charm squares.  I didn't know what to do with the fabrics until this fall, when I began teaching geometry.  I was repeating "Pythagorean Theorem" and "a-squared plus b-squared equals c-squared" so often, that this quilt was designed in my sleep!  My friend Cindy had made a Pythagorean quilt in 2011 and I wanted something similar, but bigger.

Pythagorean Theorem

The backing is another Marimekko fabric from the Crate and Barrel Outlet.  I love that the fabric is wide enough so no piecing is required on the back.  Only drawback: it bleeds!  It needs to be washed with multiple color catchers.

For quilting I went out of my comfort zone: matchstick quilting!  All the negative space was quilted about 1/3 of an inch apart, along different diagonal lines.  The number of quilting lines used in the blocks represents that section's squared number.

9 yellow blocks: 9 quilting lines.  16 red blocks: 16 quilting lines.  25 blue blocks: 25 quilting lines. 
3-squared plus 4-squared equals 5-squared

Pythagorean Theorem Pythagorean Theorem Pythagorean Theorem

Overall, I love it!  And I love the equilateral triangles fabric that I included on one part of the binding.

Pythagorean Theorem

Pythagorean Theorem

2 comments:

CJ said...

AWESOME! I love how the quilting came out.

CindyRex said...

This quilt is super awesome!